Our Chicago Free School COVID-19 Covenant for Families
The Chicago Free School is a community and during this time of pandemic, coming to school is a privilege. We need to protect each other and our ability to meet in person.
Our priority is to ensure the health and safety of all of our students and staff. As a community that has chosen to meet in person, we are depending on one another to make safer choices to protect each other. We can only meet in person if everyone cooperates, supports one another, and follows safety guidelines.
Below are the covenants that we ask everyone to agree to follow. Your family’s participation in in-person learning depends on agreeing to these covenants and following them consistently. Failure to follow the school’s requirements means that your child will not be able to participate in in-person learning.
These requirements may change as needed. Protecting health and safety may require flexibility from families in terms of every detail of our school operations.
Outside of school, our family agrees to:
- Diligently wear face masks in public indoor spaces, such as stores
- Diligently wear face masks outdoors when not physically distant from people not in our household
- Be diligent about regular overall hygiene with special attention to hand washing and/or sanitizing
- Be aware of and adhere to our city and state public health orders and guidelines. This list includes:
- Wearing a face mask when unable to maintain safe physical distance of 6 feet from anyone outside of our household
- Avoiding gatherings outside of household.
Self-quarantining for 14 days after returning from specific states or regions identified by CDC and/or state and local officials (list here).
When at school, our child agrees to:
- Wear a clean mask at all times unless told by a staff member it is a safe time to remove it
- Wash and/or sanitize their hands whenever entering the school campus, and regularly throughout the day
- Respect the physical distance expected in every situation including a strict 6 feet (or more) when eating and drinking
- Never share food, water bottles, or masks with anyone
Regarding symptoms and screenings, our family agrees to:
- Honestly fill out the health screening and have our child stay home from school for the prescribed amount of time if they experience symptoms including a fever of 100.4 degrees and above, chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea.
- Plan each day to have a parent, guardian, or another person available to pick up our child within an hour should they experience any of the above symptoms
- Plan for alternative childcare arrangements for days when our child needs to stay home due to symptoms
- Communicate with my child’s teacher if our child tests positive, when someone in our household has COVID-19, or has been exposed to someone with COVID-19 (been within 6 feet, masked or unmasked, for over 15 minutes)
- Fully cooperate with contact tracers as needed